If you are considering working as a cosmetologist in the state of New York, you will need to acquire a license to execute your profession. To help you acquire this license, we have created a detailed overview of everything you need to get your license, as well as the details of an application. So, read on to determine how you could get your New York cosmetology license.
Who Must Apply for a New York Cosmetology License?
Everyone who wants to work as a cosmetologist in the state of New York needs to apply for the New York Cosmetology license; this is required by law. When you hold a cosmetology license, you can start your own business. However, people who want to start a business as a cosmetologist, need to apply for a separate business license.
Please note that there can be some fees involved in applying for your cosmetology license. Payments need to be made with a money transfer, credit card or debit card. Cash payments are not permitted.
Application fees are not refundable either, even if your application is refused by the licensing authority. Therefore, please make sure that your application meets all the requirements before you submit it.
What Requirements Do I Need to Meet to Get a New York Cosmetology License?
Professionals who wish to apply for their New York cosmetology license need to be at least 17 years of age. The applicant also needs to have at least a 1,000-hour accredited course under their belt before their application is even considered.
Before you can get your license, you must also pass the New York State exam for cosmetologists; this includes a written and a practical exam. The applicant must provide a proof of successful schooling with their application as well, and the section “affirmation of New York State approved schooling” must be filled-in by the school director.
Once you have submitted your application, you must wait for approval before you can do the exam. When you get approved, you will get more information on the exam and how to proceed to get your official license.
What If I Went to School Outside of the State of New York?
It is possible for an applicant to have enjoyed their education outside New York. Even if you studied outside New York, you can still apply for a cosmetology license for this state. Naturally, there are some extra details to consider.
To apply for your New York cosmetology license, you must submit three documents. The first is a school certificate of the cosmetology school you have attended. You will also need a school transcript with all the subjects you’ve covered and the hours you attended. Lastly, you need a Certification of Licensure obtained from your state board. If you are not licensed, then you can get a certification of the house you claim on your application from the state board.
Once your application is approved, you must take the New York State written and practical exam. Like applicants who studied in New York, you will receive the details of your exam once your application has been approved.
What If I Worked as a Cosmetologist Outside New York for Five Years?
It is possible that you already have a license in a different state, and have been working as a cosmetologist for several years. If you have been working as a cosmetologist in a different state, you can still apply for a license in New York.
If you have worked as a cosmetologist within the United States for at least five years, you must provide the licensing agency with the following information to be approved:
- The certificate of the original licensing agency, which provided your previous license.
- Two statements of former employers, co-workers or clients, who can attest to your experience. The statements must also include the date (month and year) of the stars of service and the end of service. It should also include the location and the services you provided.
- A copy of your tax returns, which mention your profession as a cosmetologist.
What If I Worked as a Cosmetologist in Another Country?
If you can provide the necessary documentation, you can obtain a New York Cosmetology License. Documentation you require for approval includes:
- A certificate from the licensing authority in the country you worked in. If such a licensing authority does not exist in that country, you can use a verification from the consulate that a license is not required to practice in that country.
- Letters from your previous employer(s) which include the country of origin, the dates of your employment, the location and the services you performed executing your profession.
- Letters from client(s) and/or co-worker(s) which include the country of origin, dates of service, location, and the services you performed executing your profession.
- You will also need a copy of your passport, which lists cosmetology as your occupation; this could be supplemented by copies of your driver’s license, workbook with cosmetology experience or photo ID.
- Copies of all certificates, diplomas relating to the education you have enjoyed in that country.
- Copies of tax returns which mention cosmetology as your occupation.
If you are approved, you do not need to do another exam or test to acquire your cosmetology license for New York. However, please make sure to provide as much information as possible, since this increases your chances of being approved.
Do I Need to Get a Physical by a Doctor for My License Application?
Many applicants are not aware of the fact they need a physical from their doctor before they can apply for their New York Cosmetology License. The physical can be executed by a doctor, but also by a nurse practitioner or a physician’s assistant.
To submit your approved physical to the licensing agency, please complete the Health Certification section on your application. The application must be made within 30 days after the certification has been signed and dated, so take this into account when you make your application.