Laser hair removal has been used for decades to decrease the growth of your hair. Not only is this an effective way to reduce the need for shaving, but it is perfect for spot-treating small areas.
Most of laser treatments are done in salons, but recently there have been advancements to give you laser hair removal in the comfort of your own home. Since professional salon treatments can be thousands of dollars, it makes sense to invest a couple hundred dollars for a portable, at home laser removal device that claims to deliver the same results.
These machines are one of many home skincare options.
Skin Tone/Hair Color
The skin tone you have is a very important factor in determining if the laser hair removal will work. If you have a light to medium skin tone, most systems will be safe for you, but it is not recommended for people with dark brown skin tones.
Try not to laser areas of the skin that are darker than the rest. These areas can cause more pain and sensitivity, especially in the bikini and genital region.
The thicker the hair you have, the longer it will take to treat the hair. This is because thicker follicles have more pigment in the hair that will require more energy pulses and light.
Also, the color of the hair that will be treated needs to be light brown or darker. If it is blonde, red, white, or grey, the DIY laser treatment will not be as effective and sometimes might not even work.
A key step in removing hair with a laser, is to make sure your skin and hair are prepped.
Do not wax or epilate the hair before treating because the laser needs to hit the follicles to stunt the growth. It is best to shave and wash the skin before treating.
A few days before your laser treatment, it is best to exfoliate the skin to remove excess dead skin so the laser can penetrate deeply. This will also decrease the chance of ingrown hairs.
Keep in mind that results will vary per person and the effectiveness as well as the quality of each product will differ with people as well. That’s why we will look at the pros and cons of 10 home hair removal devices that can give you lasting results and save money.
Tria Beauty Hair Removal Laser 4x
- This is the first FDA-cleared laser device to be used for hair removal in both the face and body.
- It delivers an energy density of 20 J/cm2 which is over 3 times the energy of any other at-home care.
- 70% of subjects in a clinical study saw hair results in as little as 2 treatments.
- The Tria has a small laser tip that is ideal for smaller areas and spot treatments.
- The battery only lasts 30 minutes before it needs to be recharged.
- Although the cost is amazing compared to salon treatments, it is still a bit pricey for an at-home care treatment.
Remington ILight Pro
- Coming at around at less than $300, you get the most bang for your buck with this system.
- This is also an FDA cleared and clinically proven at home system.
- You can get two full body treatments per month without having to replace the quartz cartridge.
- Contains sensors for skin tone/ contact which help determine if your skin tone is acceptable and if you’re holding your skin flush to the device.
- Although you can get two full body treatments, you still must replace cartridges unlike the Tria Beauty.
- This system is not wireless and this will make it harder to reach all areas on your body.
- Remington recommends that you do not use it around your face, head, or neck.
Silk’n Flash&Go Hair Removal Device
- With a high customer review and virtually painless device, a study showed that 90% preferred this over going to the salon.
- It is excellent for treating sensitive areas (bikini line), or smaller areas (underarms).
- 80% of users that were surveyed, claimed they experienced a noticeable reduction in hair after 3 months.
- A study was done with this machine and found that it was safer if you bought safety glasses for it.
- One customer claimed that, although it worked, there were little results with the underarm and bikini area compared to the legs.
Veet Infini’Silk Pro
- Treatment lamp is bigger than most machines (4cm.).
- Even though the company claims it takes 4 treatments to see results, a review stated it took them less with 2 treatments for a reduce in hair production.
- This can be used full body for both men and women.
- You only get 15 minutes of use with each charge.
- You have to replace the light cartridge every month which are hard to find and can range from $25-$172.
Illuminage Touch Permanent Hair Reduction System
- Uses painless Dual Wave IPL and RF technology.
- This device is approved for all skin types, with hair that is both light and dark.
- Comes with additional attachments for epilating and shaving.
- Although they claim you will see up to 94% hair reduction in 7 weeks, customer reviews are questionable.
- It has a cord that might inhibit movement, as well has having to buy replacement cartridges.
- It is one of the most expensive at-home machines.
LumaRx Full Body
- Can be ideal for small and large areas all over the body, including the face.
- Like the Remington ILight Pro, this product has sensors to determine if your skin tone is too dark.
- The laser component is very small and can only treat small areas (3cm) at a time.
- It is extremely pricey, depending on where you purchase, and is over $400.
Braun Gillette Venus Silk-Expert
- Comes with a razor to help prep the skin before using the laser treatment.
- Treats areas very fast, claiming that your legs can be treated in only 8 minutes.
- IPL technology adapts to your skin to permanently reduce hair growth in 4 treatments.
- Safe and tested without safety glasses.
- The device stops working after 120,000 pulses and there are no replacement cartridges, so you must buy a whole new device.
Philips Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System
- Has a high-intensity UV filter to protect your skin when lasering.
- Does not require any replacement lamps for usage.
- Each cartridge contains 200,000 flashes for over 4 years of full body treatments.
- Is said to reduce hair production after 1 treatment, and if you don’t see results, they have a 60 day trial that guarantees your money back.
- It may cause your skin to burn, even if you don’t have sensitive skin.
me Smooth Permanent Hair Reduction System
- You can buy attachments to both shave and epilate your skin during the treatment.
- This is an FDA-cleared system, that is good for the lightest and darkest of skin tones and most hair colors (including blonde and red).
- Has a blue LED acne spot treatment, to clear breakouts with all skin times.
- Contains a large charging base with a cord that is very bulky.
- Blue LED acne spot treatment is time consuming because you need to use it 3 times a day.
HKGT Mlay M3 Home IPL Hair Removal System
- A very affordable product, that promises permanent full body hair removal for both men and women.
- Results are said to be seen in as little as 2 treatments.
- In the box you an instructional CD and goggles.
- Even though they claim to be FDA approved soon, they are not as of now so it might not be as safe.
- There are hardly any reviews on this product so the consensus of it being effective is not clear.