A makeup artist is someone who applies cosmetics and even prosthetics, using the human body as a canvas. Although artistry is only one aspect of cosmetology, they perform a wide array of different techniques that make this career challenging as well as fun and exciting. From Special Effects Makeup to Fashion, Theatrical, and Bridal Artistry, there are many opportunities for versatile make-up artists in today’s world and a makeup artist salary isn’t too shabby either.
How to Choose the Best Makeup Artist School for You
Once you’ve decided that you want to pursue this career, you’ll have to find a school that meets all of your educational needs. Good programs will be affordable, conveniently located, accredited, and will provide the classes needed to prepare you to take your state licensing exams. Most programs take less than six months to complete.
It’s up to you to decide what your priorities are, but we suggest locating some programs in your area and taking campus tours, as well as talking to representatives about their programs to learn more about each one.
With your list of priorities in hand, you can narrow the list of beauty schools down to just a few. You can also search for beauty schools by state. The decision will be much easier to make from there. We will also provide a list of the very best makeup artist programs below to help you get started in your search.
Best Makeup Artist Schools
With so many options out there, how will you know which ones are worth your time and which ones aren’t? We’ve searched everywhere for the best of the best in programs, and narrowed them down to a handful of programs that you won’t want to pass up.
CMC Makeup School
The CMC Makeup School has several locations across the state of Texas in metropolitan areas like Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio.
What Curriculum is Covered?
Here, students learn the basics of the trade, as well as more advanced techniques like Special Effects or FX Makeup, Bridal Makeup, Hi-Def Makeup, HD Airbrush and Equipment Training, Airbrush Tanning, Beauty, Glamour, Fashion, Film, Runway, Body Painting, Retail, Photography and Event Makeup, as well as many other tricks and techniques. In addition, students will also gain a firm grasp on the marketing and business aspect of being a freelance artist.
What are the Benefits of the CMC Makeup School?
- At CMC, all students will receive full Professional Makeup Kits to use during courses and after graduation.
- This program delivers smaller class sizes of between 8 and 12 students to provide easier communication with instructors, therefore making learning easier and more efficient.
- Courses are shorter and require less time, so students don’t have to rearrange their entire lives to attend school here.
- You will receive a certificate of completion which can help you land job opportunities in the future.
Our favorite aspect of this school is the positive comments left by graduates, complimenting the instructors’ positivity and patience, as well as their in-depth knowledge of the industry.
E.I. School of Professional Makeup
Where is it Located?
The EI School of Professional Makeup is located in the center of Hollywood, California.
What Curriculum is Covered at this School?
Classes at EI covered consist of Salon: Beauty and Corrective Makeup; Beginning Prosthetics; Theatrical/Live Performances Makeup; Television and HDTV Makeup; High Fashion and Photographic Makeup; and finally Film Makeup and Special Effects. Courses include field trips, guest speakers, and practical workshops to help students learn through different methods.
What are the Benefits of the EI School of Professional Makeup?
- The EI School is the world’s premier school of makeup.
- This school is considered the very best LA makeup school.
- It provides students with the opportunity to learn in a hands-on environment.
- The courses can be completed in as little as one year.
- EI can provide financial aid to U.S. Citizens and permanent residents through Pell Grants, Student Loans, SEOG, and Federal Work.
- Alumni are able to take seminars and single courses for free.
The thing we love most about the EI School is that they offer evening and weekend courses for students with prior obligations like work and family.
The Make-Up Designory
Where is this School Located?
The Make-Up Designory holds two current locations: one is Los Angeles, California, and the other in New York, both of which are at the epicenter of television and film where artists are more valuable.
What Curriculum will be Covered by MUD?
The Make-Up Designory has specific programs that allow artists in training to select a field they would like to specialize in. Programs vary, consisting of Fashion Make-up Artistry, Film and Television Make-up Artistry, Multimedia Make-up Artistry, and Master Make-up Artistry. Each of these programs gives students a solid foundation upon which to build their make-up artistry skills upon.
What are the Benefits of the MUD School?
- The MUD accepts financial aid including grants, federal loans, as well as private loans.
- This make-up artist school is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- The Make-Up Designory offers several programs, allowing students to select which sector of artistry they’d like to specialize in.
- Students will learn through lectures, labs work, assignments, as well as demonstrations from highly qualified instructors.
- Once students successfully complete a program at the MUD, they will be awarded with a diploma that can make an excellent contribution to any portfolio.
The element of the Make-Up Designory that we like best is that current students and graduates have the opportunity to receive job placement as well as career guidance.
How to Become a Professional Make-up Artist
In most states, artists must first attend and graduate from an accredited college, and must then take and pass the state board licensing exams in order to become licensed makeup artists or cosmetologist. While some states only require a cosmetology license, others will have specific licensure for markup artists.
Begin by selecting the school you’d like to attend. Contact the school and request more information, fill out acceptance applications, and get any financial aid paperwork out of the way to make the process faster and smoother. Once you’re accepted, you’ll be able to register for classes and purchase your required materials.
Most Make-up Artist Programs will take around six months in order for you to complete the required 300 to 600 hours. Some schools offer day, evening, and even weekend classes to conveniently fit your schedule.
Once you’ve graduated, you’ll be eligible to take the licensing exams, and get licensed. From there, your school may provide job placement assistance, or you may have to do some searching on your own. It may be helpful to get your foot in the door working at a cosmetics counter in a department store as well. Either way, you’ll be ready to begin your career as a licensed Artist.
Makeup Artist Salary: How Much Will I Make?
For those in the theatrical and performance sectors of make-up artist careers, the median pay is over $20 per hour, which equates to an annual salary of over $47,000 per year. Make-up artists in the theatrical and/or performance category work in elements such as Motion Picture and Video Industries, Performing Arts Companies, Radio and Television Broadcasting, and many others. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the state of California employs the highest number of artists of any state, with 790 currently working there. New York comes in second with 420 currently employed artists.
- Theatrical Makeup is used to make performers’ facial expressions clearly visible to audience members who are a sizable distance away.
- Bridal Makeup is now a crucial element when it comes to wedding planning, with many artists now including bridal services in their portfolios.
- Special Effects Makeup, also called FX Makeup incorporates the use of everything from theatrical blood to prosthetics to create enhanced physical features in performers, including non-human characteristics as well as fantasy makeup.
- Fashion Makeup is used on runways and in magazine photo shoots, in television and in film.
Whether you want to make someone feel more beautiful or create an elaborate fantasy character, there are plenty of options for you in the industry, but first you must enroll in a program. There are tons of different schools and programs available for students, so take the time to consider this life-changing decision carefully.
What Will I Learn as a Makeup Student?
Here is an example of the type of thing you are going to learn in your program.
Makeup artists have fun and exciting careers working with a wide variety of people, and their salaries aren’t too shabby either. With a little effort and hard work, you can achieve your goals of becoming a successful professional Make-up Artist.
We hope we’ve been able to help you determine what it takes to become one, and how to go about doing so. From choosing what area you’d like to specialize in to selecting the perfect school, we’re here to help you every step of the way.