Amika is currently one of the hottest producers of haircare products, especially flatirons. As a company that thrives on independence and creativity, Amika creates products that are revolutionary in the haircare world. In this article, we’ll break down a few of Amika’s best flatirons. We’ll also discuss the history of the Amika brand and the criteria for a good flatiron. Finally, we’ll give you a few tips for choosing your own ideal flatiron.
The company procured its name from a word that means “girlfriend” or “friend” in many Romance languages. According to Amika, “Infusing the latest technology with a creative edge, Amika tools and hair care are born to perform and live to impress and truly live up to their name as hair’s best friend.”
A small, independently owned boutique company that moves to the beat of its own drum, Amika focuses on generating their own content and loving what they do. They create their own styles, products, and packaging, and then continue the process by writing their own copy, taking their own photographs, and making their own films. They even do their own marketing, sales, finance, and education.
Amika’s focus on creativity has led to dozens of unique and beautiful product designs. The dynamic culture within the company makes for a successful and vibrant environment where employees can live up to their full potential.
The brand has been featured in a number of prominent publications, including Cosmopolitan and quite a few foreign magazines. According to the company itself, “Amika empowers you to start loving your hair and stop fighting it.” Through its various high-quality product, the haircare brand lives up to its healthy, easy, stylish slogan.
Criteria for a Good Flatiron
In order to be considered a high-quality flatiron, there are a few different aspects that the product must fall under. We’ll explain each of the most important components of a flatiron below. These components are the criteria that we’ll be evaluating in our reviews of Amika’s flatirons later on.
- Size. Large, wide flatirons cover more hair with each swipe and are ideal for those with long, thick, curly, or textured hair. On the other hand, small, thin flatirons are perfect for women with short hair. They’re also great for travel, touch-ups, and styling bangs. Most irons fall in between these two sizes; the average flatiron has one-inch plates.
- Material. There are two main materials used for flatiron plates, and these materials are ceramic and titanium. A third element also comes into play here: tourmaline. Tourmaline is a coating that goes on top of ceramic or titanium plates. It help to keep heat consistent while also aiding your hair in retaining its natural moisture.
Ceramic irons are great for fine, thin hair. They are also ideal for smoothing out hair and reducing frizz. Ceramic plates can be heated to very high temperatures, and they encourage even distribution of heat.
Titanium irons tend to heat up more quickly, and titanium has an ionic charge which smooths hair. The high heat titanium plates can reach makes them popular, but it also makes them prone to scorching your hair. Titanium irons are best for women with thick, textured hair.
Amika has both titanium and ceramic flatirons.
- Special features. Cordless models are becoming popular, and some flatirons have features like a built-in comb or even a steam function that can deliver water or conditioning oils to your hair. Instant-heat flatirons are a great option for women on the go or for women who don’t have a lot of time to get ready in the morning. Wet-to-dry flatirons are also increasing in popularity, although it’s said by some that the technology for this type of flatiron isn’t completely developed yet.
Amika’s Best Flatirons
Here you’ll find in-depth reviews of Amika’s best flatirons. We’ll keep you informed about each product’s specs, other customers’ reactions to the irons, and where each flatiron falls on the criteria we explained above.
This flatiron features 100% ceramic plates and heating element. The unique floating plate design makes it simple to achieve any look, whether you want your hair to be pin straight, effortlessly wavy, or perfectly curled. The temperature is easily adjustable and ranges from 140-450 degrees.
Amika calls this product “love at first glide.” The plates generate ionic, far infrared heat that ensures safe and even heat for healthy, frizz-free hair. They also adjust to tension and eliminate snagging for an easy glide–no snags!
The ceramic heating element of this flatiron preserves your hair’s moisture, protects the cuticle, and styles your hair faster than ever. Finally, the flatiron emits negative ions that close the cuticle for shiny, smooth, frizz-free styles.
Overall, this product received overwhelmingly positive feedback. One happy customer called the Strand Perfect Ceramic Styler the only styler they used, while another proclaimed that it was the best straightener they’d ever used. Other consumers loved the long lifespan of this product, as well as the floating plate design.
A more critical customer explained that the flatiron did the job, but not amazingly well, and suggested that it was similar to most drugstore irons. Others complained about the floating plates and said that the plates prevented them from styling their hair in the way they wanted to.
This intriguing product promises to be your number one time saver in the morning! With extra-wide plates for faster straightening, you’ll be able to smooth out your hair in record time. The nano technology also destroys 99.9% of bacteria while styling.
The floating plate technology enables you to create any look, whether it’s straight, curly, or somewhere in between. Perhaps best of all, you can use it on wet to dry hair without causing any damage, and the product is specially designed to protect against heat penetration.
The product received positive feedback from most users. One user explained that they loved how fast the iron heated up, as well as the wide surface area that left their hair smooth and shiny.
A slightly more critical user mentioned that the weight of this straightener could be an issue for some, but overall she was very happy with her purchase. She even said that her hair stayed straight for days after using this product!
“The smoothest styling ever,” Amika proclaims about this flatiron. “It’s like butter.” This product uses the newest and most advanced technology to style your hair perfectly. The lightweight material offers superior heat conductivity and microscopically smoother plates for the fastest and smoothest styling.
The titanium plates offer the highest strength to weight ratio, meaning that this lightweight styler is incredibly durable and can handle a wide variety of conditions. In addition, the titanium plates emit negative ions which seal the cuticle and guarantee smooth, shiny, frizz-free styles.
This flatiron is dual-voltage for world travel, which means you don’t have to buy an adapter if you’re off on a European vacation! This product can simply travel with you without having to make any special accommodations.
With adjustable temperatures ranging up to 450 degrees, Amika’s far infrared heat spreads through hair from the inside out, preventing damage. This styler is even energy efficient, saving up to 30% more energy compared to similar products! There is also an auto-shutoff feature so you never have to worry about whether or not you turned off your flatiron before you left for work.
Consumers of this product mainly expressed disappointment in the fact that it was not dual-voltage, although it was advertised as such. However, several customers stated that they were very happy with their purchase.
Amika Flatiron Buying Guide
Now that you’ve read through our three in-depth reviews, you might be unsure as to which product is the best for you. If you’re having trouble making the decision, read through the tips below to find out which product is the perfect fit!
- If you’re always in a hurry, the Wet to Dry Hair Straightener is a perfect pick! It will save you tons of time in the morning–not only will you not have to blow-dry your hair, but you’ll be able to go through more of your hair in less time because of the extra-wide plates.
- If you want a consistent iron with a long lifespan, choose the Strand Perfect Ceramic Styler. Its floating plates, adjustable heat, and ability to create many different styles make it well worth the money.
- For the smoothest styling, check out the Titanium Glide Styler. With its superior heat conductivity and auto-shutoff feature, it’s clear to see why this is one of Amika’s most popular products! It’s also dual-voltage, so it’s perfectly travel friendly!
Amika is, without a doubt, one of the top brands on the market right now. Because of Amika’s goals to be independent and unique, the company now has numerous products that outshine the competition. It’s easy to say that no matter which Amika product you purchase, it’s sure to make your haircare routine better than ever before!